Urban Suds

Deep in the heart of the big city, I craft elegant hand-made soaps in my kitchen year-round. All of my soaps are made with pure vegetable oils only, and typically organically-grown flowers, herbs, leaves, seeds and essential oils are added for a bit of exfoliating or sensual excitement. Try a bar. You'll be hooked for life!

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The Chemical Process Begins

I've just poured the lye water into the oils. I love to watch the physical transformation as the two solutions combine. Amazing, isn't it? (Yes, I'm a chemistry nerd. I went to college to become a Medical Technologist. Organic Biochemistry was my absolute FAVORITE class.)

With a few quick stirs, the chemical process begins to work its magic, eventually turning liquid fatty acids and a strong alkali solution, both at about 100-105 degrees Fahrenheit, into a solid salt. Which we all now know by its common name -- SOAP.

A few quick stirs, magical as they are, don't quite cut it as far as making good soap. Fact is, this stuff has to be stirred FOREVER in order to get the whole process complete. BUT -- if you have a handy-dandy stick blender available, what was once a tedious 30-60 minute carpal-tunnel-inducing stirring job becomes a 2-5 minute breeze. And as this magical mixture thickens and reaches what is called a "light trace" stage (much like pudding right before your pour it into the bowls to set up), I will add the fragrance oil, give it a few more quick stirs, and pour it into the molds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home